Loving Lampposts - Living Autistic

     We are all about documentaries at our house!  I don't care if the documentary is about the history of UPS or Tooth Picks, we freakin' love them!  So, needless to say, when they folks over at Cinema Libre asked me to sit down and watch their new release 'Loving Lampposts: Living Autistic'  I was all about it!  I will admit, every time I sit down to watch an Autism movie I get a little worried because of how it could portray Autistic people.  This movie was the first time I had really heard both side & angles on the subject.  I don't know about everyone else but the time before I knew what Autism or Asperger's was when Jayden was just my odd little monster until right now I have always just took his Asperger's as just the way he is.  That's just Jayden!  Sure, he has some problems but the things that are so awesome about him and (the things that I think will help him go far in the world)  far out number any problems he has related or unrelated to his Asperger's. 

Loving Lampposts really struck a note with me because, as I'm sure a lot of you are, I am crazy/creepy over protective of Jayden.  Samantha smacks me from time to time and say "Let the kid go Tom jeez!"  That being said, while I knew they were out there, it was really hard to head the arguments that my son & so many other super rad kids I've met with Autism or Asperger's have something wrong with them. I guess I always looked at it as just a different way of being.  Aside from the secretary at public school who, when I told her he had Asperger's Syndrome,  replied in a snide voice "Well, just make sure you bring up his medicine for that & we'll be fine!" I don't think I've ever come across anyone who treated him like he was different or like he had something wrong with him. I don't know, maybe I just give off that mean tattooed dad "I will eat your face" look when it comes to him, I'm not sure. 

I really liked the portions of the movie that they showed the directors son Sam, who is the subject of the title of the movie because he loves lampposts.  It was really cute seeing him go from lamppost to lamppost looking up at them & talking about them.  Hearing the narration throughout the movie is like hearing what I was thinking for most of it. The movie was pretty objective so I can totally see how no matter what side of the Autism coin you sit on you can really learn & enjoy this movie! I'm gonna go with you should with out a doubt check it out, not only if you have a kid on the spectrum but if you a kid who is!  Understanding is everything! Check out Loving Lampposts: Living Autistic, you can get it on Netflix or Amazon. Check them out on Facebook & Twitter too! Ready...Set...Go!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the support Tom. I'm glad you enjoyed the film! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what make this blog awesome! Reading comments always makes my day better!