The Scene Of The Crime {When An Aspie's Hard Work Is Destroyed}


Okay, so I wanted to tell you about something but couldn't really bust out the camera during the moment it happened & lets just face it, I'm to much of a photographer to publish a blog post without pictures so forgive the lack of photos but read this anyway!!

If you read the blog then you know all about Jayden's favorite app PaperCraft that I posted about. Jayden's papercraft creations are pretty important to him but I had no idea! You know, just when you think you have a hold on the depth of autism that's when you get a slap in the face!

Jayden came to me while I sat at my desk last night with a devastated look on his face. Not an upset face, the "Just Shot Ol' Yeller" face! He said he needed to talk to me about something very serious in his room. I went in to find the scene of the crime! A brother Unnamed Suspect had been in Jayden's room & spilled a bottle of water on the desk, all over the papercraft figures. I immediately went into "Save The World Mode" trying to calm him down before the massive apocalyptic meltdown came on. I let him know that we could make more & I would help & I'm sure it was unintentional & anything else I could think of. Samantha, who had come in to help, & I both were sorely unprepared for what was about to come out of his mouth! With all my "Glass Half Full / Mr. Positivity" talk I think he may have thought I just wasn't understanding how big of a deal this was as his face was buried in his weighted blanket crying. "It's going to be okay, Jayden! We can overcome this & get through." He raised his head from the blanket, looked up at me with his massive blue tear filled eyes, & said words that I will never forget as long as I live! "You just don't understand! Those papercraft figures that were destroyed were like my sons!" Pardon my french but I almost lost my sh*t! I'm actually pretty proud of myself & how I kept a completely straight face, reassuring him that I understood how important they were & how much work went into them. When the tears were dry & he was headed off to the restroom to brush his teeth....that's when we both lost our composure! Really!! Like my sons!! It was like a scene from a bad movie! Maybe the single saddest & funnest moment in my life to date! I was a great dad for having so much empathy & compassion but then at the same time a horrible parent for finding the whole thing so freakin' funny! So I guess on the Good-Parent-O-Meter I'm zeroed out. Oh well!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man!!! I feel bad but I'm laughing at the same time!! I can so see that happening because Bug is the same way...oh the complexities of autism...how they never cease to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the drama that ensues being an aspie parent... I hear the craziest things out of my child's mouth!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what make this blog awesome! Reading comments always makes my day better!